Spring 2004 Rehearsal Notes
- Wednesday, June 16, 2004
- Next week's rehearsal (June 23) starts at 7:15 for those singing the Lauda Sion motet, and 7:30 for everyone else.
- We are likely to sing the Lauda Sion motet up 1/2 step. (The Mass will stay pitched as written.)
- Domican Retreat concert (June 27): arrive at 3:30. (We sing at 4:15 and 6:15.)
- Concert attire:
- White (or near white) blouse/shirt, long or short sleeves
- Dark skirt/pants
- Sash for women; Red tie for men
- Wednesday, June 2, 2004
- The party at Jane's on Saturday June 12 will start around 2pm.
(Rain date June 13, would start earlier, TBD.)
- Everyone should have received directions in email from Jane yesterday.
If you're having trouble with the attachment let me know;
I can send it to you as plain text.
- If you missed the sign-up sheet, Jane needs to know how many are coming with you and what you'd like to contribute to the pot luck.
- If you have "The Gray Book" of madrigals (a.k.a The A Cappella Singer, E.C. Schirmer No. 1682), please bring it.
And if you have any copies of music from our Lake Barcroft parties at Michael's, please bring them too.
- If anyone has (or can help create) a phonetic transliteration of the French texts
(Avril and C'est Dieu!), such a thing would be greatly appreciated....
- Tuesday, June 1, 2004
- Our performance times at the Dominican Retreat's fundraiser are 4:15 and 6:15 pm.
(The fundraiser is from 4:00 to 7:00 pm.)
- Wednesday, May 26, 2004
- Louise has given us a program order for the Dominican Retreat's fundraiser:
- First Half
- Hans Leo Hassler:
Behold, How Good and Pleasant It Is (Ecce quam bonum), Jenny Bland conducting
- Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina: Lauda Sion
- Missa Kyrie - Christe - Kyrie
- Missa Gloria
- Antonín Dvořák: Songs of Nature (complete)
- I. Melodies steal into my heart
- II. Vesper bells ring
- III. Golden sunlight
- IV. Slender young birch
- V. This day
- Second Half
- William Byrd: Laetentur caeli
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: motet Jauchzet dem Herrn - Psalm 100 (Op 69 #2)
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Three German Songs
- Lob des Frühlings(? Op 100 #2?): Frühlingsgesang (Berg und Tal will ich durch streifen)
- Im Grünen (Op 59 #1): Im Grünen (Im Grün erwacht der frische Mut)
- Im Freien zu singen (Op 41 #1): Im Walde (Ihr Vögel in den Zweigen schwank)
- Gerald Finzi: Seven Poems of Robert Bridges
- I Praise the Tender Flower
- My Spirit Sang All Day
- Léo Delibes:
- Louise gave us a handout of information from the Dominican Retreat
about their fundraiser, Celebrating the Arts!
- Exhibits, demonstrations, and sales of fine artwork.
- A varied program of classical voice and instrumental music.
- The Friday Morning Music Club will present a program of Mozart and Schubert.
- Light refreshments.
- Sunday, June 27, 2004, 4:00-7:00 p.m.
- Tickets are $25 in advance (703-356-4243 or by mail), $30 at the door.
- There will be no rehearsal June 9.
- I brought my laptop computer to rehearsal tonight so Louise could see what this website looks like.
The external links don't work without an internet connection, but the local pages (including the MP3 files) work.
- Wednesday, May 19, 2004
- For the Dominican Retreat's fundraiser, there will be 2 other groups performing --
a dance group, and members of the Friday Morning Music Club.
Ad Hoc will sing 2 segments of 20-25 minutes each.
We will each receive 1 free guest pass.
(Beyond that, admission to the fundraiser is $25.)
We will not be singing any of Josquin's Missa Pange Lingua.
- We added a new piece tonight:
- Hans Leo Hassler
- Behold, How Good and Pleasant It Is (Ecce quam bonum)
- Tim Burr brought more replacement copies of the CD of our January 25, 2004 concert.
- Wednesday, May 12, 2004
- We pulled another piece out of the back of our folders:
- Tim Burr brought replacement copies of the CD of our January 25, 2004 concert.
- Friday, May 7, 2004
- If you picked up one of the CDs of our January concert Wednesday, please check its contents.
(You may have vacation pictures from San Francisco.)
- Wednesday, May 5, 2004
- Monday, April 26, 2004
- The Sunday June 6 concert has been cancelled.
We have too many schedule conflicts.
- Wednesday, April 21, 2004
- We were planning to give a concert Sunday June 6 (dress rehearsal Sat June 5),
but additional schedule conflicts have come to light.
We may change the concert to June 5, or may cancel it.
The tentative location is St. Peter's Episcopal Church (4250 North Glebe Rd, Arlington; near Chain Bridge).
- Our short afternoon concert at the Dominican Retreat's fundraiser Sunday June 27 may be extended,
depending on how many other groups they have.
Admission for guests is probably $25, but we're hoping we can get free entry for some number of our guests.
- Louise would like us to bring some of the music we worked on last year:
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
- Lob des Frühlings (Berg und Tal will ich durch streifen)
- Im Grünen (Im Grün erwacht der frische Mut)
- Im Walde (Ihr Vögel in den Zweigen schwank)
- Jauchzet dem Herrn (Op 69 #2) [in the book Four Sacred Choruses]
- Léo Delibes
- Antonín Dvořák